flattr

take a peek, go vote

the "pre-blog polls", now reside bellow the blog. please jump to the end of the page to have a little vote in them, just for fun. :)

... now, on with the rambling blog!

Monday 12 April 2010

digits personal notes on archbang (2, rc2, 64bit, live cd)

searchmonkey
very glad it's included, but i wonder if it could have it's default text editor, folder explorer and web browser already configured, out of the box.


conky & conkyswitcher
so very chuffed with the inclusion of the super+x to toggle the keyboard shortcut hints.
~this little tidbit, to my perception, is a great exemplar of what happens when you take a little of what makes crunchbang great, and a little of what makes arch great, and mate the two. :)


last time i booted into the live system:
after copying to ram, and installing a few little apps i like, (tilda & gimp), and taking a little look at the installer, amidst making some archbang graphics, with little prior warning, i could no longer make changes to the graphics i was working on, error messages popping up familiar to me when in my other system while running off.

this time, running install, i got a message from sed, how it couldnt read from xorg, just after the install packages segment.

everything else seemed to go well.  very impressed with the nuances of the installation method.   ... though it did all chew up a little more ram than i was expecting it would, still well within acceptible levels for this machine.

i dont miss the arch cursor from archbang2 rc1.  ;)  but it was a nice treat to be shown it.  seeing it first time around inspired me to make my own little cursor... a small mushroom, with a purple glow. ;)


i've got a similar sense of keen excitement about perhaps making archbang my metadistro, my base distro, from which i start to configure my system, as i got when first installing my first distro, or the first time i installed slackware, or when i first realised what a gift crunchbang was for me.  i expect archbang to probably double performance over an ubuntu based system, and further deepen my education in linux ways... specifically, the arch way.  :)

much thanks to the archbangers for providing this very welcome leg up to more conveniently enter the flow of the arch way.  

this is similar to my gratitude a few years back when i discovered sabayon, the convenient leg-up into gentoo, though perhaps the biggest difference here is, little and large.  sabayon, at least when i hooked up with it in version 3.4 FULL, had the closest of any distro i had encountered, to including everything including the kitchen sink.  archbang...  quite the opposite.  after my richly rewarding experiences with a distro like sabayon, where i like to sum it up as "the o'brien way" (born from one comment he made to a cardassian: "I wouldnt like to be caught without a third backup"), i got to know better my options, develop my preferences... so now i feel comfortable trying it on in a more cardassian way, where everything "should just work".  i know it wont, ;)  i know i'll encounter both pebcak errors, and issues i have to resolve myself from using a system that prides itself on being bleeding edge.   thats all part of the excitement, the exhileration of the voyage i am choosing.


ho ho ho...  and this started out so neat and concise.  oh well, glad i got lost in ramble there, just to make sure this post lives up to my intro blurb to this blog.   ;)

suffice to say... i expect mentions of archbang will make more appearances in digit's linux blog from now on.   not to mention, ...  use as base in my squishboom plans, of which i intend to convert my installation scripts to be archbang compatable as well as the crunchbang compatable version.  woohoo...   excuse me while i let this out uncensorred...  FUCK I LOVE LINUX!   lol.  freedomware ftw.

No comments:

Post a Comment

flattr